The Bronze course is designed for our budding, young members to train for their Bronze Medallion. The Bronze Medallion is the core qualification for every Surf Lifesaver. The Bronze course involves four days of learning and training, and then one day of assessments. The 2023 Point Leo SLSC Bronze Course will be held from the 18th of December to the 22nd of December 2023, with no overnight stay.
It is expected that once participants obtain their Bronze Medallion, they will be active members of Point Leo, helping out with water safety and attending their rostered patrols. Point Leo SLSC relies on new Bronze Medallion holders to assist with water safety at the Boxing Day Swim Classic and the JSLP (Nippers). This is also a great way for participants to put their new skills to the test and see the full Point Leo community in action! Participants will receive more information about patrols and water safety while on the course.
If you would like to book a campsite for your child to stay overnight throughout the duration of the week, please contact Tony the Ranger at Point Leo Foreshore Park and Reserve by phone on 5989 8333 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All participants in the course must also be members of Point Leo SLSC. If you haven’t already renewed your membership please do so now. For information on how to renew click here.
To attend, candidates must:
- Be 15 years of age on 30th September 2023.
- Be able to swim 400m in 9 minutes or less (signed verification of this by a pool lifeguard or swim coach is required).
- Have a current Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC) award. If you do not hold a current SRC award you will need to attend the SRC course prior to the Bronze Course. This is a new requirement due to changes to the structure of the SLSA awards. If you require further information, please email the Chief Instructor at email@example.com
To participate in any water activities, it is critical that all participants wear a high-vis singlet or rash vest (commonly, pink vest). You will be able to purchase a new vest from the uniform shop when it opens in November if you do not have a bright singlet or rashie. No high-vis, no water, no award.
The cost of the course for current Point Leo SLSC members is $215. This covers:
- Training materials
- Patrol uniform
- Course jumper
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Lunch on Tuesday 19th December and Friday 22nd December
- Please note: If you no longer have your CPR pocket mask from SRC, you will be able to purchase another by adding $25 to your payment and selecting the relevant tick box while completing your registration.
The SLSA Training Manual 35th Edition is available to download here. This is a large document so may take a while to open.
Membership renewal and fees, course registration and payment are due by midnight on Friday October 15th, 2023. Positions on the course are not confirmed until the club registration form below and your membership renewal (if not already done) are completed, and full payment is received. We recommend you register, submit your membership renewal (if required) and pay straight away to avoid disappointment. You will be sent information on what to bring to the course, how to enrol in the course on the LSV Training Portal and complete the online training in the LSV Training Portal (this must be completed prior to attending the course) closer to the date of the course.
Once you have completed the registration form you will be redirected to http://pay.slsa.com.au to pay your course fees by credit card through the SLSA Payment Gateway. Have your credit card ready when the SLSA Payment Gateway screen displays and:
- Ensure “Point Leo” is selected as your club – (please check this carefully so you don’t pay your fee to another club)
- Choose Transaction “Course fee”
- Record your child’s name and “Bronze course” in the Complete name/Meaningful payment details section – Please make sure you record your child’s name here as the person processing the payment should not have to look up member’s names for this. It’s your responsibility to record all details on the payment.
- Type $215 in amount section
- Proceed to the credit card payment screen and follow the instructions on the screen to pay
Alternatively, you can pay by direct bank transfer to the club bank account:
Account number 132487208
Please make sure you list your child’s name and SRC course in the payment details.
If you have any general queries about the course please contact Kim Williams on email firstname.lastname@example.org
This registration form is only for current members of Point Leo SLSC. Please do not give this information to your friends who are NOT members at Point Leo. If you have any friends who would like to do their bronze please ask them to register on the Bronze course waiting list on the club website before October 15.
Please do not submit multiple registrations, one is enough!