The priority for our members is keeping the Point Leo beach safe but it’s not all that we do. Our Surf Sports program for Seniors (aged 15-30) and Masters (over 30) provides opportunities for additional fitness training with specific coaching on surf skills (including board, swim, beach running/flags and surf boat rowing). This training is important in becoming an effective lifesaver but also supports Seniors and Masters interested in state or even national surf lifesaving competition. Point Leo SLSC has a large competition section and proud history of success at a state and national level. The Senior and Masters Surf Sports program aims include:
- Improving skills and confidence in surf
- Developing fitness and training capability in a range of surf skills including board, swim, beach running/flags and surf boat rowing
- For those interested, providing competitors with training at a frequency and intensity needed to complete successfully at a Junior State Surf Lifesaving level
- Building friendships and have fun training and competing in teams
- Encourage a positive approach to training, fitness and competition
- Catering to all levels from beginner to elite
For detailed information on the Senior and Masters Surf Sports program contact email@example.com.
There are a large variety of training sessions available to Seniors and Masters. You must be a Point Leo SLSC member and be a qualified lifesaver to attend sessions run by qualified coaches. Sessions on the Mornington Peninsula include:
- Mon 5.30pm – 7.00pm (ski)
- Tues 5.30pm – 7.00pm (board and swim)
- Wed 6.00am – 7.00am (kayak/ski)
- Wed 5.30pm – 6.30pm (run)
- Thur 5.30pm – 7.00pm (iron)
- Fri 6.00am – 7.00am (kayak/ski)
- Sat 8.30am – 11.30am (all disciplines)
There are also options for Melbourne based beach, pool and ocean training as well as surf boat rowing and R&R. Masters are welcome to attend the above sessions but for beginners and those developing confidence there are dedicated sessions on Tues/Thurs/Sun from January until mid February. All training sessions at Point Leo SLSC cater for a range of capabilities so don’t be shy in coming down to have a go!
Senior carnivals between Victorian clubs are held at ocean and bay beaches each season on weekends from October until State Championships in March. Competitors and their families often enjoy a great weekend trip for carnivals held on the Surf Coast.
Masters are eligible to attend all Senior Carnivals but the highlight of the season is the State Championships in mid February in the gentle conditions of Lorne. Our approach at Point Leo SLSC is to get as many people on the beach as possible at each carnival and particularly the State Championships. There is a great team culture ensuring everyone has a fun time and inevitably we achieve some amazing results. As an example, our Masters team have convincingly won the State Championships in 2021 and 2022 and everyone, regardless of ability contributed to that result!
There are competition disciplines in beach (running and flags) and water (pool swim, ocean swim, board, surf ski, surf boat teams, R&R) based events. There are options for individual and team events across all disciplines which makes for great fun. For a full list of all competition events for each age group click here.
The “Aussies” is the largest sporting event in the Southern Hemisphere and Point Leo SLSC usually fields a large team of Seniors and Masters. The standard of competition is high and the surf can be serious. Our Surf Sports program is developed by expert coaches and has produced many Aussies finalists and medallists over the years.
Competition fees are payable to cover the cost of carnival entry from Lifesaving Victoria and Surf Lifesaving Australia. Members must be qualified lifesavers and have completed a minimum of 16 patrol hours each season to compete at carnivals. The Lorne Senior and Masters carnivals are great “come and try” carnivals in gentle surf.
There are opportunities for subsidies for senior competitors for craft purchase and interstate competition expenses provided members participate in the club fundraising efforts.
Members wanting updates regarding the Surf Sports training and competition should:
- Download “Team App” from their app store or go to teamapp.com on a browser
- Create an account
- Search for “Point Leo SLSC”
- Request access to the “Senior surf sports” and/or “Masters surf sports” access group
- Go to the Seniors and/or Masters surf sports “chat” and turn on notifications
All communication regarding Surf Sports training and competition occurs through Team App particularly last minute changes to training locations and carnival information. Information also is released through the club email.
Joining for the first time?
Seniors/Masters interested in joining the club for the first time should click here for further information and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries.