The Point Leo SLSC Cadet Program offers a range of activities for the U14 to U17 age groups, catering for those who enjoy socialising with others through surf life saving, competing in a team environment, achieving surf life saving awards, working on community projects or any one of these areas.
Specifically, the Cadet Program objectives are to provide cadet members opportunities to:
- Gain appropriate surf life saving skills
- Move easily through different opportunities within SLSA
- Be motivated and have fun while developing skills
- Be inspired to stay involved in SLSA over the longer term
- Develop as an athlete and surfsport competitor, representing Point Leo SLSC at SLS carnivals
The Cadet Program includes activities that focus on life saving (including water safety and patrol participation); leadership development (including development camps, Nipper support and committee representation); competition training; and the all important social evenings and time to enjoy the beach with friends.
U14 NIPPER / CADETS
The U14 program kicks off with the Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC) training camp/days and assessment in December, which finishes with a social BBQ and award presentation. The Surf Rescue Certificate is the first life saving award that enables members who have attained the age of 13 years to join patrols. Competitors in the U14 age group who have completed their SRC are also able to compete in Senior Carnivals in the U15 age group. Following completion of the SRC award, U14s are encouraged to join patrols and undertake water safety duties for the Nipper CUBS program. Throughout the Junior Activity Program in December and January, U14s will meet at 8-30am to report in for water safety and catch up with news of planned social and other cadet activities.
U15 / U17 CADETS
The U15 / U17 cadets meet prior to the Nipper LIONS session during the Junior Activity Program in December and January. The cadet group are involved in planning program activities that incorporate:
- fundraising – mini raffles at Nipper sessions and group initiated fundraising activities
- social events – including pizza/movie nights and social surfing
- competition – discuss up coming carnivals, attendance and event selection
- training – communication of senior training schedule; board camp (Sept) and swim camp (Jan)
- nipper program – getting involved with the junior beach program and assisting with Nipper LIONS water safety. It is an expectation that the Cadet group provide water safety for a minimum of 4 (out of a possible 10) scheduled Junior Activity Program sessions.
- guest speakers – drawing on the wisdom of our seasoned senior lifesavers and athletes.
- life saving awards – awards that are available for these age groups include the Bronze Medallion (15yrs+), Surf Sports Official, IRB crew, Training Officer and First Aid.
Co-ordinator: Sophie Welsh
For further information and enquiries please contact us via our contact form with the subject line: cadets.